Healthy Early Years
A parent’s guide from birth to five
A guide to services

A guide to services

We have a wide range of healthcare and children and family services.

See which service or professional is best to help you.

Self care

Many illnesses can be treated in your home by using over-the-counter medicine from your pharmacist and getting plenty of rest. Self care is the best choice to treat very minor illnesses and injuries. If you are still worried call NHS 111 or your GP.



If you think you need help urgently during the day or night you should call 111 before you go to any other health service. By calling 111 you will be directed straight away to the local service that can help you best. It is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and is free to call, including from a mobile. You should call 111:

  • When you need help fast but it’s not life threatening.

  • When you think you need to go to Accident and Emergency or another NHS urgent care service.

  • When it’s outside of your GP’s surgery hours.

  • When you do not know who to call for medical help.

  • If you do not have a local GP to call.

For serious and life-threatening emergencies, call 999.



Your local pharmacist will know about most everyday health issues. They can suggest over-the-counter medicine or advise where may be best for you to get help. There are often pharmacists in supermarkets and many are open late. If your child has a temperature which has not come down with paracetamol or ibuprofen see your GP.

To find a local pharmacy visit


GP (Doctor)

You will need to register your child with a local GP as soon as possible after birth. Your GP can advise, give you the medicines you need and help if you need other specialist services. You will usually need to make an appointment. All GPs will see a child quickly if you are worried.

To find a local GP visit

Health visitor

Health visitor

Health visitors are part of a team who are there to offer support and advice for families until the child reaches school age. They have knowledge about child development, breastfeeding, nutrition and local support in your community. The health visitor may visit you at home or see you and your baby in a clinic.

By identifying health needs and promoting a healthy lifestyle they can help you achieve the best possible health and wellbeing for you and your child. They can offer additional support to families with a child with special needs or disability. There is more information on Locala’s website at: or phone Locala’s Calderdale Health Visiting service on 030 0304 5076.


What does a health visitor do?

Children's centres

Children’s Centres

Children's Centres are for all families with children under five. The Centres offer a wide range of services which may include:

  • Health visitor led baby clinics and checks.

  • First Aid courses for all parents.

  • Support for emotional wellbeing.

  • Play sessions and activities for children and families.

  • Parenting support (including support for teenage parents).

  • Access to speech and language assessment and support.

  • Access to midwifery services and ante/post natal support.

  • High quality early learning in safe and friendly environments.

  • Family and adult learning.

  • Stop smoking support.

To find your local Children’s Centre:

Healthy Early Years Support (HEYS)

This HEYS service is for any mum or dad with their first child, either during pregnancy or in their child’s first year, who feels they need some extra support. HEYS offers a flexible service that is shaped to your needs and the needs of your child. You can be referred to HEYS by your midwife, health visitor or it may be through another service you are in contact with, such as your college, or housing support.

To find out more contact the service on 01422 392681 or speak to your midwife or health visitor.

Local Offer

If your child has special educational needs or disabilities please click on the Local Offer link below to find details of the support available locally. It is a central hub to provide information, advice, guidance and support.

Local Offer



Make sure you and your child see a dentist on a regular basis. Register your baby as soon as possible and take them to your appointments so they get used to it. Discuss your baby’s oral care with your dentist. To find your nearest dentist visit For out-of-hours dentist information call 111.

Minor Ailments Scheme

The Minor Ailments Scheme is available to all - it allows pharmacists to manage simple common medical problems and issue prescriptions. Your local pharmacy will be able to help you with things like colds and flu, constipation, earache, headlice, insect bites and stings and teething.

See if your local pharmacy offers the scheme.

Walk-in centres

Walk-in centres treat patients who have an injury or illness that needs help quickly, but is not a 999 emergency. To book an appointment with a local urgent care centre call 111. Calderdale offers two locations for Walk-in centres which are open at weekends and bank holidays.

They are located at:

  • Park Community Practice,
    Horne Street, Halifax, HX1 5UA.
    01422 399858

  • Calder Community Practice,
    Lower George Street,
    Todmorden OL14 5RN.
    01706 811106

Accident and Emergency (A&E)

For serious and life-threatening emergencies, call 999

A&E and 999 are emergency services that should only be used when babies and children are badly injured or show symptoms of critical illness such as choking, breathing difficulties, blacking out, blood loss or if they have swallowed tablets or poisons or have severe abdominal pain.